Alterations and Improvements

Wishaw and District Housing Association understands that many of our tenants wish to improve and/or alter certain aspects of their home by, for instance,

  • fitting a shower
  • erecting a garden shed
  • changing the internal doors
  • replacing a light pendant with another fitting
  • Installing a satellite dish

A quick guide to our Alterations and Improvement process is available here to download here.

If you wish to carry out any such alterations to your home you must complete the Alterations form and get written permission from the Association before carrying out the works as we have a duty to ensure that anything you wish to do meets Building and Planning Regulations and complies with Health and Safety requirements.  Upon completion you must return your Notification of Completion of Works form and the Association will then inspect the completed alteration works.

Permission will not normally be refused unless the proposed alteration is going to present a safety hazard or structural problem to the property or adversely affect the future lettability of the property. If permission is refused you have the right to appeal the decision.

Please note that certain alterations such as those that affect the electrical or gas supply will need to be checked by a qualified trades person appointed by the Association and this will incur a charge, which you will be required to pay.

These checks are very important for the safety of you, your family and your neighbours.

Application Form to request permission to carry out alterations to your house
are available for download or from the Association's Office