Transferring a Tenancy to Another Person

There may be occasions when a person no longer wishes to be the legal tenant of the house they live in and wishes to hand the tenancy over to another person.  This may be because they actually wish to leave the property or because, due to ill health or infirmity, they are no longer able to have the responsibility for the tenancy.

Whatever the reason, The Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 allows tenants to voluntarily put the tenancy in the name of another member of the household in certain circumstances.  This is known as Assigning the tenancy.

The tenancy can also be passed to another member of the household upon the death of the legal tenant through a Succession.

If you are considering Assignation or Succession please contact Wishaw and District Housing form more information