Wishaw and District Housing hope that you are happy with our service, but if you are not then we do want to hear why, because customer feedback is one of the best ways to improve our service...

You can tell us what is wrong any time by:

  • Completing the online form below
  • Downloading a copy of our Complaints Form
  • Calling us on 01698 377200
  • Visiting our office
  • Writing a letter

We value complaints. Listening to our customers helps us to:

  • Put things right
  • Improve our services and
  • Learn from our mistakes

Further information is provided in our Complaints Handling Procedure (CHP) 2019.